5.01.2013

I wasn't quite ready for that...

This has been a weird week, to say the least. 

Sunday, little Rudy dislocated his elbow. 
On Tuesday, there was a fire at Dylan's school. 
Today-May 1st- there is a winter storm warning. It's snowing. 

In December of last year, a man killed a classroom full of kids. How do you try to explain that to your kiddo and help him feel like HIS school is still a safe place? I know Dylan's teacher, Ms. Sirek, would have done everything those teachers did that day to protect their kids. She is an amazing teacher. 

What would it be like to wake up as a Kindergartner and hear that someone started your school on fire? On purpose. And to have this happen not too long after a school shooting. There are good and bad things all over this world. More good than bad...that is what we have to remember. For Dylan's first year in the "big kid" school, there has been a lot to process for all of us. 

I was on the phone a lot today trying to figure out where he will be finishing out the school year, how to replace his Epi Pens, etc. so Dylan probably overheard my conversations. 

While on the phone this afternoon, he made the following drawings. 

He did every bit of it himself. 

On the front- I love school 

On the back- Mrs Sirek   I love you Mrs Sirek  from Dylan

Here is a picture of Dylan's school (the green). 
The grey is the smoke from the fire in the school. 
The solid red at the top are the flames shooting out of the school.
The blue guy is the "shooter" shooting bullets into the school to start it on fire. 
(Side note- the fire was most likely arson but they aren't saying how yet. 
I never told Dylan there was anyone with a gun.)
The red lines all around the page are the bullets. 

Dylan wants to give this to Ms. Sirek so she will remember the fire at their school. 

What in the hell do I even say to him about this? 
How does this little man's brain process this all? 
Ugh. 
I wasn't ready for this. 



Dylan will be starting school again on Monday, May 6th at "Panther Camp." 
(aka Rolling Ridges Girl Scout Camp) in the Roberts area. 
 It will be quite the way to finish out the school year! 
I would have loved to go to a camp for school. Dylan is very excited about all of this:) 

1 comment:

Amy said...

uffda. that is a LOT to process and he is doing a great job and so are you. keep reminding him there are more good than bad things that happen in the world. remind him it is GREAT that he loves school and loves his teacher. remind him his teacher will continue to do everything she can to keep him safe and so will you and daddy. tell him the truth about the fire as you find more out, as you can see from his detailed picture he will come up with his own ideas if you dont. good luck deedee! you are a wonderful mama! see you Saturday.