I am a person who will not ask why. That guy was crazy and no one will ever understand why even if he did have a "reason." No one could ever anticipate that someone would do something like that, even if he was getting treatment. What are the signs that someone is going to go shoot up an elementary school? I don't want to feel hatred at a time of year that is about giving and being together with family.
But, I feel hatred for that man.
The ripple effect that has descended on the world because of him is huge. He ripped families apart and caused immeasurable sadness.
I was looking forward to this weekend. I was anticipating getting the last of my Christmas shopping done, Christmas letters sent out, presents wrapped and cookies made for a cookie exchange. I have still done some of these things but I have not done any of them without thinking of all the families that are hurting right now. I cannot imagine going into the Christmas holiday without your child. And to have them taken from you in such a senseless way in a place that kids should feel safe...unreal.

I look at all the presents that I have wrapped for Dylan and Jacob. Those parents have done the same.
And they have to look at those too and be reminded that their children will never open them. All my worries and bothers seem so insignificant today.
What is Santa supposed to do with the presents the elves have made for those 20 children?
According to all the psychologists and therapists on TV, I should not talk to my kids about this (they are not quite old enough to understand- but who is?) and not let them see the news coverage. But I will remind them that there are still good people in the world.
I don't know what is wrong with people. And I don't know what has happened to our world.
Remember when Columbine was "the worst"?
Lots of hugs, cuddling, popcorn and movies in bed this weekend.
Newtown, you are in my heart and will be for a long, long time.
2 comments:
Finding your way in the world is hard. Everyone can accurately say "No one knows that better than me." because too few people share their feelings. The fact that you do makes you one of the best people on earth in my opinion. Don't stop doing it with anyone you consider to be in need of help.
Thanks Mark- that was very nice.
Post a Comment